C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Monday, May 31, 2010

Completion of the generator storgage box!

The threat of rains deterred us from applying the final coat of finish to the exterior wood.  So what to do when the rains threaten?
Cleaning day, of course.   Anne tackled cleaning the dodger and other sumbrella items from C'est la Vie while I unfolded our Porta-boat dinghy, Origami, which has been stored under the lodge for the last 8 months, and began the cleaning. 

Adding gasket material to the lid...
and buckles to the box were the final two steps in completing the generator storage box.  Here is the finished product...
I've contemplated various methods of testing the airtight seal...  place a lit candle in the box and see if it runs out of oxygen or place a bowl of ammonia and sniff test.  Any other ideas out there?  The lid does fit tight enough to form suction on the box (i.e. I can pick the box up with the suction from the lid.)  This brings up another concern... if the box is truly airtight, then if we seal it up during a low pressure system and then move to high pressure will the lid become stuck?  Hmm.  I will take it as a compliment to my fabrication if we actually face this issue. 

There is a link on the right to a photo album of the construction process of the box. This is my first fiberglass project where I fabricated an original design.  All my previous projects have been repairs to existing creations.  While I am pleased with the finished product, I am also amazed at the time involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment