C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

install one metal pole and remove another

Today we reached a milestone in our summer 2011 projects list.  Prior to today we have simply removed pieces & parts from C'est la Vie in our attempt to complete projects.  Well today I re-installed the repaired bobstay.  

Check one repair off the list! 

For better or worse moments after installing the bobstay we removed an even larger and more complex metal pole from the boat.  This is only the second time in 6 years of owning C'est la Vie that we have stepped the mast.

We plan to add a roller furling genoa and a removable inner stay for our storm and working jibs.  Doing this will require that we modify some of the hardware at the top of the mast.  Also we believe that painting the decks will be easier without having to work around the mast and stays.


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

finished up refinishing the kayak hull

Moving the kayak inside for the application of topcoats has allowed me to consistently progress forward despite unfavorable conditions.  How does the kayak enter the house?

The image above was taken after the application of the 2nd topcoat.  The image below is the finished product.

Now it is time to go paddle.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

inspired by progress on the lockers in the head

The initial TSP scrub and cleaning of the head lockers inspired me to expand the project on to some of the salon lockers.  So today I disassembled the cleaned the starboard lockers in the salon.
Once the rinse cycle on the hull was complete, I took all the hatchs, seat backs, and miscellaneous pieces stripped from the lockers home for sanding and painting.
I do not have enough workspace to tackle all the pieces at once so it will take a couple rounds of sanding, priming, and painting to finish up.
Being interior pieces, I've elected to save some money by going with primers and paints purchased at your standard big box hardware store.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

meanwhile back on C'est la Vie

I was able to put in a couple hours of work at the boat this morning.  My efforts went into prepping the head and vee berth lockers for painting.  I rely heavily on on Don Casey's, This Old Boat for guidance on boat projects.  Don suggests painting lockers as a method of perfecting painting techniques prior to moving on to more visible areas of the boat.  The first step in his outlines is to scrub the fiberglass surfaces with a TSP solution.  TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) is effective at removing mildew and greasy residues from hard surfaces.  Here is a series of before ==> during ==> after images from the locker the houses C'est la Vie's holding tank.

Before - The holding tank rests on the bare wooden shelf and is held in position by the grey bands.  I am going to attempt to fit in a larger tank.  New tank or not - I plan to remove the wood shelf and create a more finished and substantial mount.

During - The TSP is packaged as a granular powder that must be mixed with water.   I scrubbed the hull with the TSP solution, right bucket; then used a sponge to wipe the area down with fresh water, left bucket.  I continued to rinse with clean water until the fresh water remained clear after my wipe down. This took several cycles.  I also used the shop vac to suck up water that pooled in any areas.  Some water worked its way to the bilge.  At the end of my cleaning session I used a water hose to rinse the bilge.
After - still have some sanding to do, but the TSP did a great job of removing mildew and dirt.

Tired of waiting on Mother Nature...

I've given up on waiting for the ideal morning to move forward on applying the topcoats to the Arctic Hawk and moved the project indoors.
 The conditions are ideal, but the process is not without it's complications.  First due to the length of the kayak it must enter the house through the window seen behind me in the image above.  Also, all human inhabitants must flee the house for 4+ hours after painting is completed.  This makes for some interesting scheduling.

It is gratifying to be making forward progress and be able to predict a completion date for later this week.
Below is an image of the hull after the application of the 1st coat of Brightsides.