C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The fix is in!

Mike from L&M marine arrived first thing on Monday morning to address the oil leak.  He was able to cut off the old, factory installed hose clamp (really more of a crimp on fitting) without lifting the engine or damaging the hose. He then slid a new hose clamp down the hose from above  and using a flexible shaft nut driver tightened it in place.  The entire process took all of 10 minutes.

Once Mike departed I refilled the engine oil and placed a new pad under the fitting.  Throughout the day yesterday, I continued to get some oil spots on the clean oil pad.  I was unsure if this was residual oil from the previous day or oil continuing to leak.

Prior to leaving the boat yesterday afternoon, I place a fresh portion of the pad under the engine.   As of this morning there is no new oil on the pad!   Crisis adverted - whew.

Anne and I have now embarked on the terrestrial portion of our migration southward.  By the first of next week we will have dropped off our car and non- boat stuff in FL and be back at C'est la Vie.   Our target launch date is November first.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

"You take the good. You take the bad. You take them both and there you have..."

Well the good news is midday on Saturday, I completed the engine installation.  Yup everything re-installed, re-wired, re-plumbed...

Here is a before image...
the starting point.
And the current image...
re-installation complete!
Feeling very satisfied with myself for completing the project and pleased with the results, I began to wipe down the area before moving on to re-installing the forward engine room  wall.

And this is when I discovered the bad news...
The oil spot on the right is from a 90 minute lunch break.  The spot under the engine is from overnight.  
The engine is leaking oil from the drain plug or hose connection under the oil pan.  It was not leaking outside the boat so  my best guess is that it was damaged during the re-install or alignment process.  The only way to access this area is to lift the engine off the beds.  AARRRGGGHHH!

It is difficult to express my frustration when I discovered the leak.  I've managed to calm down now, 32 hours after discovering the leak.  Other than drain the oil from the engine, I have yet to begin to address the issue.  Mike the mechanic is going to meet me at the boat first thing Monday morning.  My hope is that he has some way other than lifting the engine to address the leak.

Unable to bring myself to begin uninstalling the engine, I spent the day today re-fabricating the supports for the forward engine compartment cabinetry.  I discarded the old wood.  I am modifying the design and using starboard for the support members.  

Lower panel in place.  Upper panel hinged upward to expose sound proofing. Upper side panels have yet to be installed.

As the pieces fall back into place I am also adding sound proofing material to the inner surfaces.

More images from the project are available in the photo album - Haul Engine - fall 2012