C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Monday, April 26, 2010

two epoxy project does slow going make....

Each project that involves fiberglass and epoxy work in which I engage definitely increases my skills with the medium, but I have yet to gain much ground in the efficiently arena.  I continue to make slow progress on both the generator box and the gallows bases.

Here is the box..   Since the last update I have added mat to the sides and outside edges.  I have also begun to fillet in the inside corners. The brown areas are fared in using west 407 density filler.  This will enable my to give the finished box a smooth surface.

The next steps are to cover the top edge with mat and finish the interior corner fillets.  Once these tasks are complete then I will begin work on the lid.



And here on the gallows bases... After cleaning, sanding, and filling the bolt holes left from the old stanchion bases,  I created a mold for the new bases out of modeling clay.  The template for the mold was a bowl from the kitchen (don't worry Anne approved) and a straight edge.  Once the molds were complete I then poured in thickened epoxy.  I did two separate pours to avoid excess heat generation caused by the exothermic reaction of the curing epoxy.  Heavy layups of thick epoxy can generate enough heat to damage the deck and compromise the integrity of the curing epoxy.  Two pours also provided me with greater control over the accuracy of the coverage and thickness of the layup.  The next step on this project will be to remove the mold and fair in the new bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment