C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Friday, September 16, 2011

making 'head'way

The majority of my energy over the past couple days has gone into tasks associated with refinishing the head.  I have poured more effort into this project since I realized the chain plates must be re-installed prior to re-stepping the mast.  Since the port side chain plates are in the head I need to at least finish painting the lockers so the chain plates can be installed.

I did manage to complete two coats of Kilz 2 primer and one top coat of an exterior, oilbased semi-gloss.   Darkness caught up with me prior to completing the second top coat.  I continue to underestimate the time, effort, and quantity of  paint it takes to recoat lockers.  Painting small enclosed spaces - lockers- is a different beast that large enclosed spaces - rooms in a house.

Thanks to a great  deal of assistance from Tipper, the counter top for the head is progressing quickly.
Above are four sections of  Sapele that we are laminating into a single piece.  Once the glue is dry we will sand down the face.  Once finished it should be difficult to see any joints.

Our weekend forecast is calling for rain.  Knowing that the weather will limit me to inside projects, I purchased all the hoses, clamps, and fittings necessary to re-plumb the head.  Rain or shine we have boat projects at the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment