What can I say about our crossing from the Berry’s to Spanish Wells? If we had known then what we know now… Why didn’t we just turn back on the first mile? If we had waited another 24 hours… Close, close, close hauled motoring under a reefed main we pounded our way 10 hours across the Northwest Providence Channel waiting for the winds to shift more southerly and the seas to subside. The seas finally began to diminish was we drew within 20NM of Eluthera , but by then a steady stream afternoon squalls were popping up on the banks as if they were rolling off an assembly line. Unsure if reaching Egg Island, our planned anchorage, would require us to cross the squall lines we plodded on.
|Afternoon squalls billow benignly in the distance.|
We observed one water spout spin across the horizon and the same storm attempt to generate three more. Fortunately after 11 hours and 51NM we dropped the hook off Egg Island without crossing the line.
We need to find a better method of receiving accurate forecasts while traveling in more remote areas. Anne & I have debated the following options XM Weather, Single Side Band Radio, and Satellite Communications. Do you all out there have any suggestions or opinions on the best option?