C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Monday, November 5, 2012

Dinner day 2

Last night we pulled into a marina just north of the South Carolina border. We have been having engine issues and according to my weather research we were in the path of an intense thunderstorm. I was very happy. I knew that the engine would need to cool off before jeff could work on it and I would be evicted from the galley when that happened. I needed a dinner that I could fix and basically forget. Eggplant Parm was my solution.

I took fresh eggplant sliced it up and roasted in the oven at 350' for 15 minutes, yellow onions sliced and salted then roasted in the oven for the same time. Meanwhile, I used a fork and whisked nearly a pound of tofu with 3 cloves of fresh garlic some rosemary and thyme and pepper. I poured in some marinara sauce in the bottom of my pan layered the eggplant then tofu then sliced mushrooms, fresh spinach, eggplant, onion, more sauce and shredded mozzarella. I placed that in the hot oven for 15 minutes then turned off the oven. It would cook while I waited to able to get into the galley again. I lightly broiled the top so the cheese crisped up but really oven time was 45 min. I could have put the veggies all in raw and cooked it for 45 minutes but I feel like the eggplant gets soggy and gross and I knew I made enough for lunch today. Plus roasting the eggplant you don't need to salt it first to draw out the bitterness. It cooks out.

I hope this inspires you to use what's in your pantry and cook up something yummy tonight!





No comments:

Post a Comment