C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dinner day 4

I made vegetarian onion soup. It was not my favorite recipe  To do it over I would omit the thyme and beer. I would use vegetable stock adding in nutritional yeast. I would also add flour to the caramelized onions for the mouth feel since I am omitting beef stock.

The recipe that I got off epicurious.com is called Belgian onion soup.  I sliced up 5 onions, just so you know this makes 4 servings, and placed them in my saucepan on med heat with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. I was skeptical of this from the get go. The onions overwhelmed the pan. I left them alone as the recipe said to do. Stirring every 5 minutes for at least 20 minutes. The onions browned, caramelized in 25 minutes and were one fourth the size. Amazing! So then I added in 3 cloves of sliced garlic and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the dried thyme. I cooked them again with the same stirring every 5 minutes till the garlic browns. It took 15 minutes. I poured in a beer and let it reduce by half. Then adding in 1 quart mushroom stock and letting that reduce . The soup is then quite thick.  At this point you should let it sit 24 hours I had 2 hours. So, I spooned the soup into ramekins topped it with sliced bread and Swiss cheese and popped it under the broiler.
I thought it was pretty good but it was bitter. The combo of beer and thyme was not nice. Not a total fail but at least I tried something new. Please try this but tweek it, no beer, no thyme, add in flour to coat the caramelized onions maybe 2 tablespoons.
 
I also used the leftover rice to make rice cakes. I took the rice and made patties golf ball sized then rolled it in bread crumbs and freshly grated parm cheese. Then saute them in oil. Great idea but the rice I had made was not sticky enough. It became fried rice scramble. It was delish but not pretty.






No comments:

Post a Comment