C'est la Vie is a 1966 Charlie Morgan 34.

Her home port is Everglades City, FL. Our typical cruising area is Southwest Florida, the Florida Keys, the Southeastern Atlantic Seaboard, and the Bahamas. We are C'est la Vie's third owners and purchased her in 2005. We continue to maintain and update this classic vessel. Please post any questions or comments about C'est la Vie or our travels via the comment links below.


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sesame noodles

Muriel Lovett is not only my mother in law but she also is quite a good cook. She makes a light, refreshing and tangy sesame noodle dish that I attempted to recreate. Fail. The whole meal was an education and edible but not Muriels. I have since found out her recipe and I have ideas on how to tweak the one I used. I am allergic to peanuts and cashews so many of the thai, asian foods call for these ingredients. So as a substitute I use soy butter. Its pretty good usually but I forget that it is quite overpowering so I should reduce the amount called for. The recipe I used did not call for ginger, I think that's really an important flavor component so I would change that. Also, all the vegetables in the noodle dish (better cold the next day) were cooked or blanched. I would add fresh carrots and or cucumber.
Well, it wasn't terrible just not was I was expecting. Here's what I did.
I cooked 12 oz spaghetti (enough for dinner and then lunch the next day for the 2 of us) in salted water for 3 minutes, then added one bunch of cut up broccoli, 4 baby peppers thinly sliced, and 1 onion thinly sliced. I drained the pasta and veggies after 3 more minutes of cooking. Reserving .5 cup of the pasta water. That is tricky for me as I cook pasta usually the way folks cook rice so that I don't waste precious fresh water. I dumped the noodles and veggies into a silicone bowl and placed it in the cockpit to cool off. I whisked together with a fork, .25 cup soy butter, .25 brown sugar, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp braggs amino acid ( wishing I had tamari), 1 tbsp sesame oil, 4 minced cloves of garlic ( I would have added this to the noodles to take away some of the bite of the raw garlic), and .5 tsp red pepper flakes ( would sub serracha next time) and the reserved pasta water. I added that to the noodles and that part was done. All it had to do is sit and marinate while I heated up some frozen store bought veggie spring rolls in the fry pan...Dinner was served!





No comments:

Post a Comment